Friday, July 29, 2011

Waiting in Baggage Claim - He Said

You answer us in righteousness, with awe-inspiring works, God of our salvation, the hope of all the ends of the earth and of the distant seas; - Psalm 65:5 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

The journey of a thousand miles often ends without underwear, deodorant, and toothpaste. Today I'm wearing a woman's blouse. Last night I washed my boxers and socks in the bathroom sink and hung them up to dry. This morning, as a favor to herself, a friend loaned me her toothbrush. The airline has promised to deliver my luggage this evening but this is also the carrier whose motto is: "Soaring to new heights on a wing and a prayer and not much else." If God relied upon the airlines to transport the Body of Christ to heaven, the Church would arrive smelly, surly, and clutching a six dollar food voucher for a ten dollar sandwich.

Praise God He has promised our safe arrival to His heavenly throne. He is our hope and salvation and His long-distance routes span seas and heavens. But what of those we love and leave behind? Will they make their final connection or remain stranded in a terminal state of frustration. All our anxious worrying cannot save those we love, anymore than my fuming could deliver my luggage. All we can do is ask and rest in the knowledge that Christ loves those we love with a greater love than we can imagine.

A few minutes ago my luggage arrived. I smell better. I feel better. But I won't relax until I'm home with family and friends. When faced with a delay in the concourse of life take time to pray for those you miss.Then wait...and wait...and...

No comments:

Post a Comment